Nomentano bridge passes over the river Aniene, it is located in the Monte Sacro district, close to our holiday home Ninuphar Maison.
Togher with Ponte Milvio it was, in ancient Rome, one of the most important extraurban bridges in our city.
It is a bridge full of stories and traditions.
A tradition tells that in the nineteenth century there was a meeting between Charlemagne and Leo III.
During the period of the Pazzi Conspiracy, however, the bridge was called “Iuxta Casale de ‘Pazzis” and included as a possession of this family.
In 1849, during the French invasion, it suffered destruction. Seven years later, these destructions were repaired.
Until 1924, the year of the construction of the new adjacent Tazio bridge (which connects Via Nomentana Nuova with Corso Sempione), it constituted an obliged link between Rome and the areas north of the city. In 1997, fear of injury to the structure, the bridge was closed to car traffic, becoming, since then, exclusively pedestrian.Restored in 2002, it is occasionally open to the public, which can thus visit its internal structures.