The Passetto “er Corridore” in Roman dialect, is a raised walkway 800 meters long, which connects the Vatican with Castel Sant’Angelo.
The Passetto allowed the Pope a safe escape route, to take refuge inside the Castle in case of danger and at the same time have a bastion that would allow better control of the Borgo district of Rome.
– The Passetto was built in 1277 by Niccolò III inside the Vatican walls, during some restoration works.
– In 1494 the structure allowed Pope Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia) to take refuge in the Castle during the invasion of Rome by the militia of Charles VIII of France.
– In 1527 also Pope Clement VII (Giulio de ‘Medici) took refuge in Castel Sant’Angelo through the Passetto during the Sack of Rome carried out by the lansquenets of Charles V.
On the occasion of the 2000 Jubilee, the Passetto, like other architectural works, was put back into operation. Today it is possible to visit it only with a guided tour.
The “Passetto di Borgo”, the famous walkway that connects the castle to the Vatican palaces. 800 meters built by Pope Nicholas III in 1277 above the Leonine walls and connecting the Apostolic Palace to the Castle. The purpose of the construction was to ensure an easy and safe escape to the Pope in the event of an attack. It was used a few times during the long history of the Papacy.
After the walk to the little pass we will continue our visit inside Castel Sant’Angelo.
Castel Sant’Angelo entrance and passetto + tour guided+ vox rental.
Duration: 2.15 minutes
About 45 passes + 1.30 tour guided to Castel Sant’Angelo.
August 4th at 8.45 pm -1.00pm
9 August at 21.00 -1 place
24th August 9.30pm – 5 places
August 25th 21.30 -7 places
31st August 9:30 pm – 4 places
7 September at 8.45 pm -4 seats
8 September at 8.45 pm – Ended
9th September 8:45 pm – 4 places
Limited places: 14 per turn.
For more details visit the following page